Top 10 programming languages of the future updated in 2019
There are a lot of programming languages in the market. All of them are very popular in their respective field. But the question is which programming language is best for you as a beginner. If you have this question in your mind then this is definitely for you. I am going to discuss the top 10 programming languages of the future and help you to choose the best one for you. Let’s get started
Each language has its own benefits and drawbacks. Each was created for a specific reason and evolved in some way to advance our modern day and age.
Software development is a dynamic field. Every language has its demand. Before starting to learn you have to decide in which field you are interested in. You have to choose Programming languages according to your field. But don’t worry I am here to help you to find out.
With over 600 unique programming languages, deciding on the best programming language for your project may be difficult. To make in easy, before picking the right language you must have an answer to all the questions listed below:-
- What kind of Project do you want to work for?
- What type of development do you want to do?
- Front end or back end?
- Do you want to learn a high-level language (Flexible and abstracted) or Low-level language (Less abstracted)?
- How many hours in a day can you invest in learning?
- Do you want to go freelance, get hired by an established company or work with a startup? Or, are you just trying to be more efficient at your current job?
Stay with me you will get all the answer by reading the list below:
Top 10 programming languages
Python is a general-purpose language, which means it can be used to build just about anything, which will be made easy with the right tools/libraries.
Professionally, Python is great for backend web development, data analysis, artificial intelligence, and scientific computing. Many developers have also used Python to build productivity tools, games, and desktop apps, so there are plenty of resources to help you learn how to do those as well.
If I think about the community of this programming language then I must say it is a great one. You will find a lot of documentation to learn python. It has a great number of resources. The larger a community, the more likely you’d get help and the more people will be building useful tools to ease the process of development.
Let’s find a few of the advantages of preferring Python than any other technology:-
- Easy to learn: It is the easiest language among all programming languages for beginners. Python reads like English, which takes a lot of syntax-learning stress off coding beginners. If you are beginner then python is the best option to start with.
- It is amazingly flexible: As a dynamically typed language, Python is really flexible. This means there are no hard rules on how to build features, and you’ll have more flexibility solving problems using different methods.
- Object-oriented: To become a successful programmer you have to know the object-oriented programming language.
- Career Opportunities. Python has a great job opportunity in the market. You can use python all most in every sector. So its salary range is $43k – $135k. The average salary is $94k.
If you want to work in back-end development, data analysis, artificial intelligence then python would be the good choice for you. It is easy to learn and manage.
Java is a programming language that developers use to create applications on your computer. Java was designed to have the look and feel of the C++ language, but it is simpler to use than C++ and enforces an object-oriented programming model. Java can be used to create complete applications that may run on a single computer or be distributed among servers and clients in a network.
There are too many features of Java programming language. Like it is a dynamic and object-oriented language. Java is designed to be secure in a networked environment. Its performance level is very high.
The main problem with Java is it is not so easy to start with. It is a high-level language. There are many more rules in this language. The syntax is a little bit difficult.
As an old language, Java has a great popularity in the programming field. It has a lot of resources to use. The recent indexes of programming languages popularity have once again reinforced that Java is one of the most popular languages around.
This brings us to the reasons that make Java a top contender in the race of programming languages that a programmer should consider learning:
- Tons of resources to learn Java.
- Lots of job opportunities. Programmers with a sound knowledge of Java are in great demand.
- It’s an Object Oriented Programming Language.
- We love free and open source software, don’t we? OpenJDK is a free and open source.
- Java programming language’s Rich API can be listed among the main reasons behind its success.
- Powerful development tools. The powerful IDEs available for Java have played a key role in taking Java to the top level.
- Java programming language is omnipresent. Due to its stability and scalability, you can find Java on mobiles, desktops, large-scale applications etc.
- Great community support. With about 10 million Java developers spread across the world, Java community continues to grow.
Some of the popular Java development tools are:
- Android Studio
Swift is a powerful and intuitive programming language for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. If you want to develop native iOS or Mac OS apps, then you basically need to learn Swift. There are some other programming languages too.
Swift is a statically-typed language, and Xcode will check your code for errors before it builds your app. This means errors will be easier to track down.
Swift might be the fastest and most powerful language in the world, but still too young. It has many issues that need to be addressed and “growing pains” to experience. After all, three years is too little time for any language to mature, even if it is Swift.
If you are interested in iOS development then I will suggest you start with the Swift. Swift is much easier than Objective C.
I outline some main advantages of choosing Swift over Objective-C for your next mobile project:
- Easier To Read. The number one advantage to choosing Swift is arguably because of its clean syntax, which makes it easier to read and write.
- Swift is open source. Apple’s decision to make Swift open source has accelerated the adoption and development of the language.
- It is easy to learn. It is more like English. The easy syntax makes this language comfortable.
- Easy to maintain. It’s not possible for Objective-C to evolve without C evolving first. Contrarily, Swift does not have these dependencies, which makes it a lot easier to maintain.
- It is fast. According to Apple, Swift is up to 2.6x faster than Objective-C and up to 8.4x faster than Python 2.7
- Swift Is Safer and More Secure. Swift’s syntax and language constructions exclude the several types of mistakes possible in Objective-C.
C# was developed by Microsoft and is used in essentially all of their products. It is mainly used for developing desktop applications and, more recently, Windows 8/10 applications. It is also a part of .NET so it is used alongside languages like ASP in web development and apps.
C# developers love the language for being pleasant to use and well-designed. If you want to build apps for the Microsoft platform, you should naturally learn C#. It is often the recommended language to use when making games through the Unity Game engine.
There are many similarities between C# and Java. Because C# is copied from java at the early stage. But it is developing day by day. It also has good features that make it unique. C# is a statically-typed compiled language.
- Simple to Get Started With. C# was designed to be simple and easy to use. Since C# is a high-level language, it reads somewhat closer to English.
- Easy to Maintain. C# is a statically-typed language, which means your code will be checked for errors before it gets built into an app.
- It’s widely used in game development. C# is widely used to develop games with Unity, which means that thousands of games, including popular ones like Rimworld, were scripted using C#.
- Great work opportunities. There are 5,000 C# jobs advertised in the US alone (and 10,000 globally), with an average base pay of nearly $80,000.
- MICROSOFT HAS YOUR BACK. Microsoft is constantly adding new features to the language. Microsoft also provided support for seamless integration with other Microsoft technologies, such as Microsoft SQL server, cloud computing and many more.
- The ability to develop many kinds of apps on several operations
Kotlin is a statically typed language that runs on the JVM and is completely interoperable with Java. Kotlin is an officially supported language for developing Android apps, along with Java. It is a new language compared to other programming languages.
Google is adding Kotlin as an official programming language for Android development. … Like Java, which is the default language for Android development, Kotlin is a language that runs on the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), and it’s already possible to use Kotlin and many other JVM languages for Android development.
If you are interested in android development then you should start with Kotlin. Because Google is going to develop kotlin according to their demand.
Here are my reasons why I think that, far from being a risky bet, moving to Kotlin is one of the best things you can do.
- It makes Android development much easier.
- It’s seamlessly integrated with Android Studio.
- You can use it with existing Java libraries.
- It’s officially supported by Google for Android development.
- There are well-known companies that already use it in production like Pinterest.
- It’s much safer than Java.
C++ is a general-purpose object-oriented programming (OOP) language, developed by Bjarne Stroustrup, and is an extension of the C language. It is, therefore, possible to code C++ in a “C style” or “object-oriented style.”
The most packaged software is still written in C++. That means games, office applications, graphics and video editors, and operating systems. In fact, if you think of the software you use every day that isn’t online, chances are it is written in C++ (or C or Objective-C).
A brief off-the-top-of-my-head listing of projects that use C++:
- Device driver development
- Advanced engines (audio, image processing, etc)
- Embedded software (devices and such)
C++ is the very powerful programming language. As a statically typed language, C++ is generally more performant than dynamically typed languages because the code is type-checked before it is executed.
C++ needs a lot of code, which means you need a large team to scale a C++ app, and from a time and financial investment point of view, C++ not easy to scale. Also, since you have to do a lot of things manually with C++, it’s easy for less experienced or less skilled developers to introduce errors into the code base.
C++ is rather lower level, the language is huge and you will need to handle a lot of complex things such as memory management and more. You also need to write a lot of code. But it has good job opportunities. The average salary for a C++ developer is $89k.
There are many more advantages of C++ but the main problem is it is a little hard language than others. So I will not recommend C++ for a beginner.
8. R Language
R is a popular programming language created by Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentleman in 1993. It is used for statistical computing and graphics.
It is free and open source for all. You can compile and run this programming language on various operating systems including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Now a days R is being used for machine learning and data analysis. You can create objects, functions, and packages. There are many advantages to using R.
You can add features and fix bugs without waiting for the vendor to do this. Thus, it allows you to integrate with other programming languages like C, C++.
Advantages of R
- R is a Free, Open Source Language. Anyone can download and start working on it. R has no license restrictions.
- It is Cross-Platform Compatible. You can easily run R on different operating systems and varied Software/Hardware.
- Anyone can fix bug, code enhancements, and add new packages to it.
- R is used for AI and machine learning. It makes machine-learning lot more easy and approachable. There are some packages for machine learning, which is extensive.
- R can easily relate to other programming languages. It is also quite friendly while importing data from not only Microsoft Excel, but also, Microsoft Access, MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, and so on. You can also connect to various databases using ODBC.
It has useful data handling and storage facility. It provides operators for calculations on arrays, lists, vectors and matrices.
Rails is a web application development framework written in the Ruby. It is designed to make programming web applications easier by making assumptions about what every developer needs to get started. It allows you to write less code while accomplishing more than many other languages and frameworks.
Building a website is probably the most common scenario in which you would use RoR. However, you could also use PHP. Why use one over the other?
The argument goes like this: if you are just adding simple functionality to a basic, straightforward website, then use PHP. On the other hand, if you are building a complex website or app that involves a database then you’ll want to use Rails.
The nice thing about RoR is that you don’t have to code from scratch every time you need something done. That’s what an effective framework does.
But it still helps if you know what’s going on at a lower level. So, if you are a PHP pro, then I recommend you jump on RoR right away. You’ll learn it pretty quickly.
There are some limitations of this framework.
- Not all website hosts can support Rails. You can host your Rails application on a Virtual Private Server (VPS) with Amazon EC2, Rackspace, or Linode.
- Java and PHP are more widely used, and there are more developers in these languages.
There have been concerns that Rails applications are not as fast as Java or C, which is true, but for the majority of applications, it is fast enough.
Here I present you 10 of the most famous web applications written with Ruby on Rails:
- Urban Dictionary
Go is designed specifically as a systems programming language for large, distributed systems and highly-scalable network servers. In that vein, it replaces C++ and Java in Google’s software stack. Some of the Google technology you use every day has components written in Go.
Go (often referred to as Golang) is a programming language created by Google in 2009 by Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, and Ken Thompson. Go is a statically typed, compiled language in the tradition of C, with memory safety, garbage collection, structural typing, and CSP-style concurrency. The compiler, tools, and source code are all free and open source.
Go is compiled to machine code and is executed directly, which makes it much faster than Java. It is so because Java uses VM to run its code which makes it slower as compared to Golang. Java takes a while for the JVM to initialize and get started – slower that typical startup time, and much slower than Go.
Go programming language is relatively younger than any other programming languages. It has a smaller number of packages as compared to other ecosystems like Node.js and Ruby. This is because Go’s standard library is full of features which mostly doesn’t need third-party support. However, the number of packages are increasing.
Advantages of Golang that have made it so popular
- Excellent Performance – Speed is the fastest and most stunning benefit of Golang. The benefits of such excellent performance are obvious. If your web server has the ability to handle 100-times the load it currently can, your costs are reduced by approximately 100-times.
- Golang is open source – It’s incredibly important for a programming language to be open-source to become better, cleaner, and more efficient.
- It is highly concurrent – Concurrency is extremely important at our time. It allows multiple processes running simultaneously and effectively.
- Keeps the bugs away – Since it is a compiled language, with very strict typization, and it is statically typed, developers have to be more accurate and attentive, so the code is neater and safer.
- It is cross-platform – It is used for different platforms, including Windows, Linux, Unix, and BSD versions and mobile devices (starting from 2015). In addition, it compiles well on many OS’s.
Companies that have already embraced Golang
- The New York Times
In summary, we’re saying that Go is a fairly new compiled programming language designed for modern hardware architectures and concurrency. This programming language is engineered, and not easy to hack.
It was engineered to solve problems with the existing web programming tools and languages while taking advantage of the modern hardware architectures.
This is the list of top 10 programming languages to learn for you. However, before concluding this tutorial, I have an honorable mention to make. That is PHP.
PHP is not in my top 10 list. However, I can not ignore the impact of this programming language has on web development. Large amount of people are using it as their website backend system.
This is because wordpress is powered by PHP. Not only that, Facebook (2nd largest website in the world) use this language for its backend.
PHP is a server-side scripting language. that is used to develop Static websites or Dynamic websites or Web applications. PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-processor, that earlier stood for Personal Home Pages.
The popularity of PHP programming language can be assumed by one fact: Harvard University’s website and Facebook is based on this programming language!
The reason for choosing PHP as the programming language for these huge websites is just because of the easy maintenance, improvements, and updates that can be done on PHP websites.
If you are interested in programming languages then I think you know the name “Wordpress”. WordPress is a free and open-source content management system based on PHP and MySQL.
WordPress is, by far, the most popular open source Content Management System (CMS), used by approximately 75 million websites. This WordPress is completely based on PHP. So you can imagine the popularity of PHP.
If you want to work as a full stack web developer in different online marketplaces then you should consider this language to learn.
So, when you know that PHP has some genuine benefits in terms of developing a website, it’s time to know what the advantages actually are.
- PHP is an open source programming language which means it is completely free and quickly accessible.
- It works outstandingly on LINUX, Windows, and UNIX platforms. Moreover, the programming language readily frames with MySQL/Apache.
- It has a large community, and thanks to the popularity it possesses, tons of PHP developers, contributors, users, and employers are there who are proposing for PHP jobs.
- The PHP Hypertext Preprocessor is it’s developed and maintained by a cluster of PHP developers, this help in making a support community, extensive extension library.
If you are interested in website development then you must know PHP. To work as a freelancer and full stack developer in different freelancing marketplaces PHP is the must.
Every programming language has its own pros and cons. Choosing a language completely depends on your target, what you want to be. Therefore, before picking up a language, you must set your target.
Programming language is a tool to solve a problem. You need to select you language according to your problem that you are trying to solve.
All of these languages have great demand in market. You can build your own business as well as get a job in big companies.
You can also earn a good amount of money by helping others as a freelancer. There are many online freelance marketplaces to work as a freelancer.
It is your turn to share your feelings with us how effective this article was for you. If you need any assistance with this tutorial, leave a comment below and I will try to help you out.
Please don’t forget to put any of your valuable suggestions so that we can create more useful content and help you to solve your problems.
Finally, you can subscribe to our newsletter. I always provide the latest update about my new contents that may help you. Please share this post with your friend if it is helpful to you. So that they can also learn about top 10 programming languages.
You may also like: