21 best wordpress plugins 2019 – Must use to customize your website
Everyone wonders to find the best WordPress plugins to customize their professional website. One of the best things about having a WordPress site is the ability to customize and enhance it using plugins…many of which are 100% FREE!
There are many more reasons to explain why WordPress is the best for your website.
If you are going to start a website, you have to focus on some important factors to rank your site in Google. For example, Website loading speed, performance, SEO, mobile friendliness, marketing etc.
From over 60000+ WordPress plugins, it is very difficult to choose the best WordPress plugins for your website. After a lot of research and considering all the factors, I have listed 25 best WordPress plugins for your website to make it fully functional and rank in Google.
Best WordPress Plugins in 2018
Considered to be the best WordPress plugin for Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Yoast SEO is designed to help you publish higher-quality, search-optimized content. Because the SEO landscape is often changing, it is important to employ a stellar plugin to keep ahead of the curve.
It comes with all the important features like XML sitemaps, Meta information editor, robots control, multiple focus keywords, automatic internal linking, and so much more.
Firstly, it makes you choose a focus keyword and use the keyword appropriately in the article you are writing. Page analysis feature checks if you have used the focus keyword everywhere on the image alt tags, Meta description, headings, and the whole post.
Furthermore, it suggests you to properly set up the text and images for better usability and visibility for search engines.
Concisely, Yoast SEO takes care of the all the technical SEO optimization for your site. It is a free plugin but you can also use Yoast SEO premium for more features.
Every website needs a contact form. WPForms is the most beginner friendly contact form plugin for WordPress. It comes with a powerful drag and drop builder that you can use to create beautiful online forms in just a few minutes without touching a single line of code.
In addition, it has pre-built form templates, complete with the form fields you need, so you can customize your form as you see fit. Moreover, it is 100% responsive, mobile friendly, and is optimized for SEO. Not to mention, it is one of the fastest contact form plugins around.
This drag & drop online form builder allows you to easily create contact forms, email subscription forms, order forms, payment forms, and other types of online forms with just a few clicks.
Finally, there is a free WPForms Lite version available for those who are looking for a simple solution.
Powering almost a third of all e-commerce websites, WooCommerce (https://woocommerce.com/) is one of the most popular WordPress plugins for those who want to set up an online store.
It is active on more than 4 million sites, has a 4.7-star rating on more than 2,900 reviews, and, most importantly, it just plain works. Among all WordPress plugins, this is the best one for any online store.
Most important Features:
- Easy to setup
- Accepts various payment options.
- Offers a developer-friendly structure.
- Integrates with a wide range of extensions and other plugins.
Wordfence Security is one of the best WordPress plugins for website security and for good reason. It keeps on checking your website for malware infection. It scans all the files of your WordPress core, theme and plugins.
If it finds any kind of infection, it will notify you. It claims to make your WordPress website 50 times faster and secure. For making your website faster, it uses Falcom caching engine.
Best Features of WordFence Security Plugin
- The free version is powerful enough for smaller websites.
- The comment spam filter removes the need to install a separate plugin for this.
- The scan portion of the plugin fights off malware, real-time threats, and spam.
- It has a full firewall suite with tools for country blocking, manual blocking, brute force protection, real-time threat defense, and a web application firewall.
- Developers can save tons of money when they sign up for multiple site keys.
- You gain access to some unique tools like the option to sign in with your cell phone and password auditing.
- The plugin monitors live traffic by viewing things like Google crawl activity, logins and logouts, human visitors, and bots.
Elementor helps you add advanced styling, layout, and design elements to your WordPress content without requiring you to know the code. In the new Elementor Pro version, you can even design your entire WordPress theme also without needing to know any code.
Elementor is a drag-and-drop page builder plugin for WordPress, which means a couple of things:
- It gives you a completely original and separate interface for creating posts, pages, and custom post types. When you visit your standard post/page editing screen in WordPress, you get a new button that allows you to enable Elementor, and then let it take over the page-editing process entirely.
- You can use it to create any content layout or page layout you can imagine — regardless of what your current WordPress theme allows you to do.
- It works on the front end, meaning it shows you the outcomes of your work right away in a true ‘what-you-see-is-what-you-get’ manner.
- It does not require you to possess any HTML or PHP knowledge or skills. Everything can be done through a handy user interface.
- It works with all WordPress themes.
Pricing: It is free. The main plugin is available via the official WordPress repository.
Now, about that Pro edition. Granted, it does feature some interesting stuff that power users may enjoy, but it is certainly not something everyone needs. Here is the current pricing of Elementor Pro:
6. WP Rocket
When it comes to caching plugins, WP Rocket is one of the best WordPress plugins. And even though it labels itself as a caching plugin, WP Rocket also includes a bunch of smaller performance-optimization features to go along with caching.
Here are some of the biggest tweaks that you get:
- Combine files – does what it says! Combines multiple files (like multiple CSS files) into a single file.
- Remove query strings – removes queries strings, like “?ver=1.0”, to improve your GTmetrix score.
- Lazy Loading – speeds up your site by only loading certain media content once it enters the visitor’s viewport. Essentially, your site will not load images and/or videos until absolutely needed.
- Render-blocking CSS/JS – does what it says and helps you get rid of the famous “Render blocking” warning in Google PageSpeed Insights.
- Easy CDN integrations – helps you connect to CDNs like Cloudflare and origin-pull
- Database optimizer – lets you clean your database right from WP Rocket, rather than requiring you to install a separate plugin.
- Minification – shrinks the size of your site’s code by removing unnecessary content, like whitespace, without changing the code’s functionality.
WP Rocket starts at $39 for a single site license. In total, there are three different pricing plans. The only difference between the plans is the number of sites that are supported – there aren’t any feature limitations:
Each plan includes one year of support and updates. It’s worth pointing out, though, that you do get 50% off renewals if you want to continue receiving support/updates after the first year.
WP Rocket also offers a 14-day refund policy, in case you’re not happy with the plugin.
If you want to speed up your website, WP Rocket is a good choice. There are free WordPress plugins available for caching, but with something as important as caching you are going to want access to support, and that is why I would recommend using WP Rocket on your website.
Keeping your website’s performance in top shape is one of the keys to its success. This includes optimizing your images so they aren’t a drain on your site’s resources.
Imagify is the best WordPress plugins for image optimization. Let’s look at all the benefits that you will get:
- Optimize regular images, thumbnails, and retina images from WP Retina 2x.
- Compress all your existing image files in bulk.
- Store your original full-sized images in a secure backup, so they can be restored at any time.
- Choose from three levels of compression – Normal, Aggressive, and Ultra.
How Much Does Imagify Cost?
Imagify takes a somewhat unique approach to pricing. It’s 100% free for the first 25MB of images that you compress per month.
If you do exceed your bandwidth limit, you will need to pay for more. Plans start at just $4.99 per month for 1GB of bandwidth. You can also buy “one-time” plans if you just need to bulk optimize a large back catalog of images, which is a nice feature.
Akismet is the most popular WordPress comment spam protection tool. It is the WordPress plugin that comes pre-installed with every WordPress website.
Spam comments are a huge problem for WordPress websites. A large number of spam comments is generated by automated spambots. Manually submitted spam comments are also in huge numbers.
If you have an established website, you will soon start noticing the increase in spam comments. One way to deal with this is by enabling comment moderation on your WordPress site.
This is where Akismet comes in, it catches spam comments submitted to your website and stops them from appearing on your website or in comment moderation. It is a cloud-based application, so the massive databases used to filter and catch spam reside on the cloud.
9. Updraft Plus
UpdraftPlus is one of the best WordPress backup plugins on the market. It’s been rated as the most popular backup solution for WordPress, with over a million active installs.
Even with the free version of the plugin, you can easily setup full, manual, or scheduled backups of all your website files including your database, plugins, and themes. Restoring your files is simple, and you can do it with minimal technical knowledge.
Best of all, it supports multiple cloud storage options including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Amazon S3.
All the features:
- Easy-to-use interface
- Free version and competitive premium pricing
- Supports scheduled and on-demand backups
- Simple backup customization – you can schedule separate file and database backups
- More choices for remote storage locations than many others
- Excellent restore functionality
- Cloning and migration tools
- Good multisite backup features
- High wordpress.org user ratings: 4.8/5.0 stars
UpdraftPlus is best suited for websites of all sizes regardless of your budget.
A lite version is available to download for free in the WordPress repository. The lite version is sufficient for you if you want to set up or schedule a complete backup of your site. You can also quickly restore your site in case you lose the data.
There are 4 different payment plans for UpdraftPlus.
- Personal: 2 licenses for $70.
- Business: 10 licenses for $95.
- Agency: 35 licenses for $145.
- Enterprise: Unlimited licenses for $245.
MonsterInsights is one of the best WordPress plugins that make managing and tracking Google Analytics data a whole lot easier.
MonsterInsights is also much easier to set up than Google Analytics. A beginner to WordPress may not know how or where to place the tracking code. However, setup with MonsterInsights is much easier — you don’t have to edit any code on your site.
Let’s take a look at a few tracking features you can enable easily with MonsterInsights.
- File download tracking: Find out exactly how many times users download your files.
- E-commerce tracking: Enable eCommerce tracking for your WooCommerce or Digital Downloads store.
- Custom dimensions: Track authors, categories, tags, searches, logged in users, etc. on your website.
- Google AMP tracking: Enable Google Analytics tracking on your Google AMP enabled pages.
- Ads tracking: Understand which ad slots bring in the most revenue.
- Facebook Instant Articles tracking: Enable Analytics tracking on your Facebook Instant Articles.
- Google Optimize: Enable Google Optimize and start conducting A/B tests on your site.
- EU Compliance: Improve compliance with GDPR and other privacy regulations.
- Forms tracking: Track all your online forms with Google Analytics and gather data like form views, submissions, and conversion rates.
Do you want to create a membership website? A membership site enables you to create a premium content library and make it accessible only to your registered members.
MemberPress (https://memberpress.com/) is one of the best WordPress plugins for membership available on the market today. The plugin is easy to use and handle. Even beginners can configure its options and settings with ease. It’s been updated consistently and has become even more beginner-friendly due to refinements made over time.
Reasons why MemberPress is the best WordPress plugins for membership:
- Easy to use.
- MemberPress is coded clean & fast.
- A full-featured membership plugin.
- Looks nice on the front-end.
- It has extensive coupon & email integration.
- MemberPress can run small simple membership sites or large complicated sites.
- MemberPress has a great reporting tool.
- It has incredible support.
- MemberPress is fairly priced
Pricing for the MemberPress Plugin
MemberPress is a premium plugin with no free version. The plugin offers three levels of pricing plans for different types of users. All three plans provide a yearly license.
The most basic plan, named ‘Basic’, costs $129 per year and you can use this license for only one site. Another plan, ‘Plus’, is available for $249 per year and can be used for up to 10 sites. The most advanced plan is ‘Pro’, available for $369 per year. You can use the ‘Pro’ plugin license for a maximum of 30 sites.
MemberPress pricing seems costly for startups, but it’s quite a fair price for all the amazing features the plugin offers.
MailChimp for WordPress is among the best WordPress plugins in the WordPress directory. It allows you to create a signup form for your MailChimp list easily, so you can stay in touch with your visitors. Find out in our MailChimp for WordPress review if it’s the best choice for you.
It is also by far the most affordable for beginners because it is free as long as you send less than 12000 emails per month or have less than 2000 subscribers. This means you can get started right away without paying anything.
Now as your subscribers grow (more than 2000), you will be asked to upgrade your account to a paid plan.
Free Add-on Plugins
There are a few free plugins available from the WordPress.org directory that add more features to the plugin:
- MailChimp Top Bar: adds an opt-in form to the top of your WordPress site
- MailChimp for WordPress Captcha: add a captcha to your opt-in form to prevent signups
- User Sync: automatically subscribes your WordPress site subscribers to your MailChimp list
- MailChimp Activity: dashboard widget containing a bar-graph or line-graph showing your subscribers by day
MailChimp for WordPress Premium
There’s also a premium version of the plugin available, called MailChimp for WordPress Premium. It includes better features like:
- The ability to create more than 1 form
- Forms are submitted using AJAX (so the whole page doesn’t reload when submitted)
- ECommerce360 integration for WooCommerce: track and segment your visitors by purchases
- Style builder: create better-looking forms with a visual editor
- Reporting: find out which sign-up methods & pages are performing best
- Email notifications: get an email whenever someone subscribes
The sitemap is a list of pages on a website that is accessible to all users. An XML sitemap is a way for website owners to tell search engines about all the pages that exist on their website.
WordPress XML sitemap also tells search engines which links on your website are more important than others and how frequently you update your website.
The Google XML Sitemaps plugin is the best WordPress plugins specifically designed to make an XML sitemap, readable by Google and other search engines, with a complete index of your site.
The Google XML Sitemaps plugin has many options. You can:
- Set the priority of the page for indexation.
- Set the priority of each post for automatic calculation.
- Exclude specific types of posts or post categories. This is useful if you have, a category of posts for personal stuff you would prefer isn’t indexed.
- Select which categories of content are included in the sitemap from a list that includes the homepage, posts, static pages, categories, archives, author pages, tag pages, and the optional last modification time?
- Allows you to specify exact URLs you would want to include in the sitemap, but which are not themselves typical URLs on your blog.
- Automatically submit the sitemap to major search engines when generated.
- Set specific change frequencies for different categories and types of pages.
If you want a deep, robust SEO suite that happens to include site mapping, you have the choice between Yoast and All in One. We’ve talked about them before, and they’re both parts of our recommended new site plugins list. Personally, we use Yoast on all of our websites and have uninstalled Google XML Sitemaps.
Broken links are links, which don’t link to an existing page. It’s a “dead” link and contains a 404 error code.
For example, let us assume you linked to a page on a particular website, but that page was removed. This causes a broken link. When a visitor follows that link, they will get a 404 error page.
Broken Link Checker is a free tool for WordPress.
It helps you find all broken links on your blog as well as highlight all of the redirections.
This WP plugin checks all URLs on your WordPress blog and gives you a complete report of the broken and redirected links.
- Monitors links in your posts, pages, comments, the blogroll, and custom fields (optional).
- Detects links that don’t work, missing images and redirects.
- Notifies you either via the Dashboard or by email.
- Makes broken links display differently in posts (optional).
- Prevents search engines from following broken links (optional).
- You can search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
- Links can be edited directly from the plugin’s page, without manually updating each post.
- Highly configurable.
15. WP Mail SMTP
Are you looking to cut down on spam emails from your WordPress site, or send the email via Gmail or Google Apps from your website? Take a look at the WP Mail SMTP plugin, which forces the WordPress wp_mail() function to use SMTP instead of the PHP mail() function.
SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is an industry standard for sending emails. SMTP helps increase email deliverability by using proper authentication. Over 900,000 websites use WP Mail SMTP to fix their email deliverability issues.
Because of the mail() function’s vulnerability to hijacking, the WP Mail SMTP plugin can help to keep your site safe. If a lot of spam emails are being sent from your website, you could get in trouble with your hosting company or get your site blacklisted.
WP Mail SMTP plugin includes four different SMTP setup options:
- Mailgun SMTP
- SendGrid SMTP
- Gmail SMTP
- All Other SMTP
WP Mail SMTP can also come in handy when:
- Your web host’s settings are interfering with the delivery of mail from your WordPress site
- Your hosting company has disabled the mail() function and WordPress can’t send email
- Emails sent from your WordPress website always end up in the spam folder of recipients
- Messages sent via your WordPress contact forms never reach your inbox
- You want to set up WordPress to send the email via Gmail or Google Apps (more on that below)
If you need any Google Analytics for your website, then this plugin is a good WordPress plugin for you. Analytify comes with the most advanced features and beautiful UI that makes you more comfort to understand.
This plugin also available in Premium version. Therefore, in free version plugin, you get only basic features. However, the Premium version plugin includes demographics, GEO, traffic source, site speed, E-commerce, AdSense and many more.
- Beautiful UI design.
- Google Analytics Stats under the single posts, pages & Custom Post.
- It provides you detail stats about sessions, users, bounce rate, average time on site, average pages, page views, and new/returning visitors.
- It shows you about user’s system status like which devices, the browser they are using.
- You can see how people are finding you.
- List of top countries, list of top cities, top referrers browsers, top referrers options available.
- Real-time statistics (Premium).
- Campaigns Statistics (Premium).
- Use ShortCodes(Premium).
$39 (Personal) | $69 (Small Business) | $99 (Agency) | $199 (Developer)
17. W3 Total Cache
Are you looking for a Caching plugin to speed up your WordPress site? W3 Total Cache is one of the most popular caching plugins for WordPress powered sites.
Speed is one of the most important SEO factors. Faster websites rank higher in Google, this means more visitors for your business website and more conversions.
- GZIP compression to optimize web browser rendering.
- Support for Content Delivery Networks (CDN).
- Compatible with CloudFlare.
- Caching of database objects in memory or on disk
- Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) support.
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) support.
- Minification of posts, pages, and feeds.
- Import post attachments directly into the Media Library (and CDN)
- Compatible with shared hosting, virtual private/dedicated servers, and dedicated servers/clusters.
Easy Social Share Buttons for WordPress is one of the most popular social sharing plugins available today. This plugin has over 17,000 sales and an impressive 4.66-star rating out of five at the leading Code Canyon marketplace.
It’s fair to say that every website needs social sharing buttons. The primary goal of almost every website is to attract more visitors. The website can then convert those visitors towards its goals, whether that’s more subscribers, leads, or sales.
Social sharing buttons give your visitors an easy way to share your content with their followers. This increases the visibility of your website, improving the chances of it being found.
However, social share buttons don’t just make it easy for your visitors to share your content. The buttons also serve as an effective reminder to your audience to consider sharing your content on social media.
First, the basics. Easy Social Share Buttons supports:
- 50+ social networks
- 28+ different positions
- 52+ pre-made templates
- 25+ animations
Then there is a whole bunch of more advanced features like:
- Minimum share counts. Let’s you avoid negative social proof by specifying a minimum number in order to display share counts.
- Customization. Customize Tweets, Open Graph data, and more.
- Share count recovery. Helps you recover lost share counts if you change domains or move to HTTPS.
- Analytics and A/B testing. You can view detailed analytics for your buttons’ performance and even run A/B tests to try and boost your shares.
- Popular posts (by shares). Let’s you display a list of your most popular posts by social shares.
- After share actions. Let’s you display a custom message after a user shares your content. For example, you could display a like button or an email opt-in.
In addition, Easy Social Share Buttons is even moving into areas beyond strictly social share buttons:
- Live chat – you can display a live chat button for Facebook Messenger or Skype Live Chat.
- Email opt-ins – a built-in subscribe form module helps you display an email opt-in with your share buttons.
There are many social sharing WordPress plugins. However, according to the price and features, this is the best WordPress plugin. I will highly recommend you to use this plugin.
There are times when you have to change the permalinks of your posts/ pages but you forget to redirect them. That is when users will land on a not available page following the old URL, which doesn’t exist anymore. Moreover, it is another way you are making your visitors upset.
In such cases, Redirection is the right plugin to pick. It is the best one among all WordPress plugins. It helps you to manage all the 301 redirections and keep track of 404 errors.
The plugin automatically adds a 301 redirection when a post’s URL changes whereas you can also add 301, 302, and 307 redirections manually for a post. You can redirect all the URLs and also have full logs for all redirected URLs.
The plugin has a fully featured import and export system and you can:
- Import and export to Apache .htaccess
- Export to Nginx rewrite rules
- Copy redirects between sites using JSON
- Import and export to CSV for viewing in a spreadsheet
- Use WP CLI to automate import and export.
You can also import from the following plugins:
- Simple 301 Redirects
- SEO Redirection
- Safe Redirect Manager
- WordPress old slug redirects
Redirection is mainly useful when you are migrating pages from an old website or changing the directory of WP installation.
Want to quickly add code to your WordPress site’s header or footer tags, without messing with your theme files? You need a simple plugin that will insert your code for you. Insert Headers and Footers is a good choice among all WordPress plugins.
Insert Headers and Footers is a free plugin by WPBeginner that allows you to add insert code into your header and footer throughout your whole website. The code can be easily added and edited right from your WordPress dashboard.
Without a plugin like Insert Headers and Footers, you would have to manually edit your header.php and footer.php theme files if you wanted to add any code.
Using Insert Headers and Footers instead has a lot of advantages. Insert Headers and Footers:
- Prevents errors: It’s easy to delete the wrong thing or place a code in the wrong place when editing theme files, but a plugin can prevent that.
- Is faster: No need to find the right theme file and spend time hunting through the code to figure out where to add your own.
- Keeps you organized: You can see in your WordPress dashboard at a glance what code and scripts you’ve added to your header and footer.
- Preserves your changes: When your theme updates, you’ll lose any changes you made to the files. Keeping your code separate in a plugin will prevent this.
Do you want to boost your email list signups? OptinMonster is the best conversion and lead generation WordPress plugin on the market today.
Email is the most cost-effective way to reach out to your users and customers. But you need to get your potential customers’ email addresses first before you can send them any emails
Without a lead generation plugin, 70-90% of people visiting your website today will never come back again. However, a properly-integrated and cleverly-used lead capturing plugin can help you convert those visitors into subscribers and paying customers.
OptinMonster is more than just a lead generation tool. It’s a complete conversion optimization software that helps you grow your email list, plus increase sales and revenue.
- more form types (blank, sidebar, and in-content/after post, full-screen entrance and exit gateways).
- the ability to create unlimited forms for different posts on your site.
- a user-friendly native WordPress user interface.
- integration with all major email marketing services.
- multiple form design templates.
- the option to add custom HTML and CSS to forms.
- purpose-built mobile forms.
- a testing mode for previewing forms.
- the ability to insert forms into posts and pages using shortcodes.
- more controls for when and where popups are displayed.
As stated above, these plugins provide the basic features, improve the site SEO, optimize speed, harden security and help to market your content and products in a better way.
If you are already using them, write your feedback in the comment box below.
Did I miss any plugin that you think is essential too? I would appreciate if you suggest me any.
You may also like: